Spring Vegetable Fried Rice
- 3 Tbsp oil
- 1 head broccoli
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup carrots
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 2 green onions (or half a medium yellow onion)
- 1 cup cooked chicken, pork, scrambled egg, tofu, or tempeh
- 3 cups cooked and cooled brown rice
- 2 Tbsp tamari (soy sauce)
- Optional seasonings: 1 or more tsp of fish sauce, minced garlic, or minced ginger, based on personal preference
- Optional garnish: fresh basil, crumbled nori, pea shoots, or nasturtium petals
- Cut all vegetables and protein into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat.
- When oil begins to shimmer, add all vegetables and proteins.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables begin to soften and brown, about 2 minutes.
- Before adding rice, make sure there is still oil visible in pan—if not, add an additional 1-2 Tbsp.
- Add rice to pan, making sure to break up any clumps.
- Add tamari and optional seasonings and stir well.
- Let sit without stirring for a minute to get rice crispy.
- When rice starts to brown and look crispy, stir and repeat step 8 until desired texture is achieved. (If using a metal skillet—rather than nonstick or cast-iron—scraping with a metal spatula may help to get all the mixture off of the skillet.)
- Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Serve in shallow bowls and top with optional garnish.
- If vegetables start to burn, the pan is too hot.
- If rice doesn’t get crispy, the pan is too cool.
- If everything sticks to the pan, there isn’t enough oil or the pan is too cool.
- Don’t give up! Adjust heat and/or seasonings, keep calm, and cook on!
Thanks to Sal Daggett, Farm Table’s produce manager and an area farmer, for this recipe!